Friday, September 18, 2009

The Newest Member of Our Family


The Jones family has a new little bundle of joy! A furry, purry, playful bundle of joy. Her name is Cleopatra and she is eight weeks old. We don't usually call her by her full name. Cleo is the name we use most often.

I haven't had a baby kitten since before I was married. I forgot how little and roly-poly they are. After we lost Peanut, the boys wanted to get another kitty... and I didn't need much convincing. I decided that instead of getting a grown or juvenile cat, we would get a baby. That way we would know the history of the cat and hopefully train the kitty to be an indoor-only cat.

This time around, I am trying something new. I have decided to try out a raw-foods diet for Cleo. In other words, no processed foods. Right now, I have her on a diet of raw chicken and beef. The bags of frozen meat are available at a local pet supply store. Initially the cost is more than the bags of non-specialized dry food that are available at Target.

I'm finding, however, that I do not need to give her much food. I feed her in the morning, a little around lunch, and again at dinner. The difference is that the food doesn't sit around all day in the bowl so the cat doesn't nibble all day. I used to throw half-full bowls of bagged cat food away when we had Peanut. The food would get yucky after a while.

I've been told that a diet of raw food also reduces veterinarian bills. I've also noticed that Cleo's poop doesn't smell as bad as other cat poop I've had to smell. Mostly, it just makes sense that cats should eat meat. They are carnivores.

Cleo is a cutie! I am so glad I went with my gut instinct and insisted on a baby kitty with lots of fur. I love furry kitties. The boys love her and laugh at her antics. Even Matt seems smitten with her... even though he tries not to show it. Actually, I think she likes Matt the best. She follows him around and plays at his feet while he plays the guitar.





Peanut
We miss Peanut and will always laugh about the cat who used to drink out of the toilet, tried to get in the tub with the boys, brutally killed lizards, and liked to attack our feet at night. I know Peanut had a happy life with us, even though it was too short. Rest in Peace, Peanut.

2 comments:

Lori said...

CUTE little Cleo! But, um... what's that green thing comin' out of her back side?! ;-) - Lori

Leah said...

Aww, Cleo is too adorable!! I love the idea of the raw food diet, that sounds so cool. I would love to have a cat, but everyone in my family is super allergic. :( Enjoy your kitty!