Monday, July 12, 2010

Blogging, Honesty, and Crickets- Oh My!

The problem with coming back to blogging after being gone for so long is that I have so much to write about and can't figure out where to start. Then there is always the little voice in my head that says:

"Who cares, anyway? Nobody probably even reads your blog... can't you hear those crickets chirping in the background?"
I do hear crickets right now but I'm pretty sure they are coming from outside our open sliding glass door. I hope. Maybe I should close the window and see if I still hear them...

Then, I have to question why I even want to write a blog.
  • Do I do it for myself... sort of like a diary or a journal? Heck, no! I have never believed in journals/diaries. My fear of having my deepest thoughts and secrets forever documented via the written word has kept me from falling victim to that weapon-of-self-destruction.
  • Do I do it because I want to keep my family and friends up-to-date on what the Jones' are up to? Nah... my family is pretty boring.
  • Do I keep a blog because I am egotistical enough to think that my profane profound thoughts and words will enrich the lives of anyone who happens to read it? Yes. I think that's it. It's not that I think I have much to offer. In fact, I think it's because I don't have a lot to offer that makes me feel eligible to offer what I do have.
In other words, I have always viewed my blog as an opportunity to be transparent. I am a transparent person in real life and I feel very strongly that we need to be transparent with each other. I like people to be real. I like people who can admit that they are not perfect. I like people who aren't afraid to let their friends see their weaknesses. I like people who can laugh at themselves.

I have had friends who are real... and I have had friends who wear their "my life is perfect" face all the time. I prefer to be around my friends who are "real". I like to know that I am not the only one who has a huge pile of clean laundry in their family room... that I am not the only one who sometimes gets too lazy to be consistent in disciplining their children... that I'm not the only one who resents their husband for hogging the TV remote.

I blog because I hope to make other people/women/wives/mommies feel like they are not alone. If you really are perfect and have the perfect family & life, this blog is not for you. Move on to the blog written by that chick who makes her own bio-degradable diapers while homeschooling six obedient children who are fed only home-grown, organic vegetables and still has time to keep her house clean and her husband satisfied. I'm sure she exists somewhere.

Wow! For not knowing where to start (again), I sure have said a lot!

No comments: